Wednesday, May 03, 2006

My Morning Coffee


Every morning before work I love to start my day with a morning coffee or tea. Along the way I am guaranteed to see a homeless man or woman in downtown Toronto.

There is one homeless man I walk by often and he always greets me with a smile and good morning. This man goes out of his way to be cheerful. This always inspires my day. Usually I only just make enough time to grab my coffee and go back to the office but one day I had some extra time and spoke to him longer than the usual hello.

At one time he had a great job and home but depression took over and it was difficult for him to remember or have the desire to care to keep up with his medication due to lack of support from family, friends or places to go for help. When saying goodbye he told me with a big warm smile "Thank you for always acknowledging me and smiling to say hello each day; It really makes a difference when I am having a bad day!"

Most people just walk by the homeless pretending they do not exist out of fear or to protect themselves from feeling anything. I have to admit I have done this before but from now on I am going to try to remember this conversation and do my best to help make a difference in other peoples day by making the simple effort of a smile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home