Friday, April 21, 2006

Blast from the past


Today I was in the book store and saw that there has been a reprint of the book "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance". It has been probably about 15 years since I read this book. I remember it being an incredible read and I think I may revisit the experience again as soon as I finish the two books I have my nose in now.

I just finished "Shanghai Baby" by Wei Hui. The book was not what I had expected but reading it I experienced many emotions laughter, tears, anger and arousal. It was a quick read, just a day or two. Parts of the book stay with you especially the end.

The writer also gives reference to other writers, songwriters and actors. My favourite reference she used was from the book "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" by Milan Kundera which read "Making love with a woman and sleeping with a woman are two seperate passions, not merely different but opposite. Love does not make itself felt in the desire for copulation (a desire that extends to an infinite number of women) but in the desire for shared sleep (a desire limited to one woman)"

Mostly these quotes are found at the beginning of each chapter to foreshadow the chapter ahead This gets you into the frame of mind that she wants you to be in for the next step in the story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home